Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Glutenfree Playdough

When planning for H's birthday party I knew I wanted to make play dough as party favors for the kids, and I wanted it to be sparkly white, just like snow. But if you've ever made homemade play dough you know that it won't come out white just because you don't add food coloring. It turns kind of beige. Not good for imitating snow. (Never play with yellow snow...) And I don't know about you, but I've never seen white food coloring. Does that exist? So I googled white play dough and it turns out that gluten free play dough is as white as it gets. I guess the flours used doesn't turn off white, like wheat does. 

My first attempt to gluten free play dough resulted in a sticky mess that smelled like pizza dough. I don't think you want me to share that recipe. But maybe you'd like to know what worked? Are you ready? Here it is...

(sorry, only picture I've got of it.)

Gluten free play dough recipe

1 cup gluten free Bisquick
½ cup salt
1 cup water
½ tbsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp oil

I also added glitter to mine. And of course you can add food coloring and spices or extracts if you'd like.

Mix everything together in a pot. I prefer a non stick one. Heat it up and stir until it turns into one big lump. Knead (I just love warm, fresh play dough) and let it cool down. Then Play!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics