Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Yummy for my Tummy - Butternut Squash Soup

I have been blessed with a child who eats most everything you put in front of her. In fact, almost every night at the dinner table she tells me that she loves the food, that it's delicious and that it is her favorite food. It sure makes me a happy mamma! But there's one type of food that she loves more than anything. In fact, if you were to ask her what her absolute favorite food is she would answer:
SOUP
 So here is one of our favorite soups, enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp EVOO
  • 2 small onions, sliced (I normally only use one onion and I have no idea what size category it falls into.)
  • 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced (really, there's garlic in it? I think I've missed that every time I cooked it. I guess you could put in some garlic.)
  • 3 cups peeled, chopped butternut squash (just wait for my comments on this one...)
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 cups apple cider
  • kosher salt 
  • freshly ground black pepper
 
 Before I give you the instructions I want to tell you 3 things...
1. This was  Rachael Ray recipe but I can no longer find the link. Just wanted to give credit where credit is due.
2. 3 cups of peeled butternut squash normally means two whole ones. Last time I only needed one. 


See what I mean?

3. Be careful when you peel the squash. Don't use a cheese slicer.


Cook onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add everything else and bring to a boil. Then let it simmer for about half an hour until the squash is soft. (I have roasted the squash a couple of times and then scooped it out and added it to the liquids, instead of peeling and chopping. Considering my cheese slicer incident maybe I should stick to that.) Puree the soup with an immersion blender until it's smooth.  Serve with your favorite croutons.

I wish I had a picture of the finished product, but I stopped taking pictures when I sliced off part of my knuckle. I actually stopped cooking that night and didn't finish it until the next night and had no thought then of bringing out the camera. Sorry!

I hope you try this soup. It is absolutely delish!



2 comments:

  1. i LOVE butternut squash soup, but have never attempted to make it on my own! now i have a recipie! thanks!
    and sooooooo sorry about your thumb! that looks like it hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! i may just have to try it!

    love the + and = pics (funny and not all at the same time - ouch!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics