Saturday, November 20, 2010

Something to do - Advent Calendar

I've been wanting to make an advent calendar for E since, well let's just say since before she was E. (Advent calendars are a big thing in Sweden, where I grew up so they were always part of my Christmas season as a child.) And this year I finally made one! It came out great, if I may say so myself. 
 
E loves it and H can't stop staring at it. I think she wants one too. Maybe with baby socks. That would be fitting, don't ya think?

Here's a little tutorial (sort of) for you...

Start with getting a text from your hubs who just happen to be at Walmart.
"Didn't you say you wanted something like these? 4 for $1."

Use the green glitter glue you bought for your daughters Tinkerbell wings. 
(You bought the wrong shade that didn't match the first bottle that your mom sent you that you were out of. But you saved this one anyways, remember?)
Write the odd numbers 1-23 on the red stockings.
 Write 25 on the slightly larger, fuzzy, red stocking that your hubs suggested that you get for the big day.
Try to find number stamps since you want to use your white craft stamp pad for the green stockings. When you realize you don't have any number stamps, go to your local craft store and find out that they are way overpriced. You don't want to spend $20 on stamps right now. That would be more than you're spending on this project total. Buy white, puffy fabric paint for a buck something. And on your way to the check out line just stumble upon some shape-able Christmas string on sale.
Go home and write the even numbers 2-24 on the green stockings.
 
Go out and find one of those branches that blew down in your backyard during that last stormy day. It was probably from your neighbor's tree. He doesn't take good care of his trees. They're dying and fill your pool up with leaves all summer long.

Cut your branch to the size you want. Hang it up on your wall using command hooks. 
 I first called them commando hooks when I published this post. (Thanks Mare for your comment and I'm glad I could make you laugh today.) I thought I would let you all know so you can laugh at me too. =)
Since tree parts aren't straight you want to be able to remove the oddly placed hooks once you're done with the branch.

Assemble. 

Fill with goodies such as small toys, crafts, candy etc. Be sure to not put anything heavy in the stockings that hang on the skinny little branches. If you want to go cheap I can recommend the toys in the 25 cent machines at the mall or grocery store.

Let the count down begin!




I linked up to:
http://twelvecraftstillchristmas.blogspot.com/2010/11/twelve-plus-day-of-traditions-christmas.html
http://sewmuchado.blogspot.com/2010/11/we-did-it-wednesday_16.html
http://tatertotsandjello.blogspot.com/2010/11/weekend-wrap-up-party-and-partybox.html
http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/link-party-giveaway-and-another-winner.html

11 comments:

  1. oh my! i love it! great job!
    BTW, the hooks are command hooks by 3M!
    i had to laugh at "commando!!" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went back and corrected it! Thanks! =) Maybe I should've left it for everyone else to brighten their day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! great job :) did you have one like this growing up at all or get the idea from one of the blogs you posted? it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this with twelve crafts readers. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah I don't think you could even buy tiny little stockings in Sweden. I had chocolate calendars and calendars that followed along stories on the radio and shows on the tv. Yep. The make an advent show every year at home. Advent is big there. Sure miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh forgot to tell you I think I've seen something similar in blog land a few years ago. I would totally credit the blogger if I could remember where it was. I think there are quite a few people who have used stockings. The branch was my own idea (even though I doubt I'm the only one who ever used one).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jättefint, Linda! Vilken trevlig presentation, du har talang. Om du vill ha fler tips kan du kolla www.margaretha.se tror jag det hette. Det är en handarbetskatalog. Kram mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  8. förresten, tror du att Ella vill ha tv- kalaendern, du kan ju följa via svt. Let me know i dag så kanske jag hinner skicka den:

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so cute, you & C did a great job. I'm sure E & H will enjoy opening them up. Thanks for sharing. Love you all, N

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I'm a new follower. What great ideas you have here on your blog! I found you from the engaging toddler activities site. Check me out sometime http://myadventures-in-mommyland.blogspot.com/

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this, friend! we miss you guys, hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving…maybe a playdate next week?!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics